Current:Home > NewsFBI boards ship in Baltimore managed by same company as the Dali, which toppled bridge -Blueprint Money Mastery
FBI boards ship in Baltimore managed by same company as the Dali, which toppled bridge
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 13:52:12
Federal agents on Saturday were on board a container ship in the Port of Baltimore that is managed by the same company as the ship that toppled the Francis Scott Key Bridge earlier this year, authorities confirmed.
"The Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Criminal Investigation Division and Coast Guard Investigative Services are present aboard the Maersk Saltoro conducting court authorized law enforcement activity," Angelina Thompson, a spokesperson with the U.S. District Attorney's Office for the District of Maryland, told USA TODAY in a statement.
The Saltoro is managed by Synergy Marine Group, the same company that managed the Dali, which on March 26 crashed into the bridge, causing it to fall into the Patapsco River. Six people who were working on the bridge were killed in the disaster, which also stalled operations in the Port of Baltimore.
The Washington Post reported that its reporters saw the ship enter the harbor early Saturday morning and federal agents waiting in a line on the dock outside the ship.
It's not clear whether the move on Saturday is related to the ongoing investigation of the bridge collapse, and the agencies said they would not comment further. Synergy Marine Group did not return requests for comment on Saturday.
US government sues Dali owners
Earlier this week, the Department of Justice filed a civil claim for $103 million against Synergy Marine Private Limited and Grace Ocean Private Limited, the Dali's owner, to recover the money spent responding to the crash and clearing debris so the port could reopen in June.
The suit also includes an unspecified amount for punitive damages. The DOJ accused the two companies of negligence.
"This was an entirely avoidable catastrophe, resulting from a series of eminently foreseeable errors made by the owner and operator of the Dali," Brian Boynton, who heads the Justice Department's Civil Division, said in a statement.
The Dali lost power twice before it left the Port of Baltimore, according to a preliminary report from the National Transportation Safety Board. The two companies that own and operate the Dali earlier filed a motion to limit their legal liability, which the city of Baltimore has opposed.
The companies said in a statement that the claims were anticipated, and "we do look forward to our day in court to set the record straight."
The families of the six men killed when the bridge tumbled into the water, the company that employed the workers and a survivor of the collapse have also filed claims against the companies in advance of a Sept. 24 deadline.
Contributing: N'dea Yancey-Bragg, USA TODAY; Reuters
veryGood! (666)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Ranking the best players available in the college football transfer portal
- More cows are being tested and tracked for bird flu. Here’s what that means
- Flint, Michigan, residents call on Biden to pay for decade-old federal failures in water crisis
- Average rate on 30
- Glen Powell Reveals Why He Leaned Into Sydney Sweeney Dating Rumors
- Tennessee GOP-led Senate spikes bill seeking to ban LGBTQ+ Pride flags in schools
- Eminem’s Daughter Hailie Jade Shares Beautiful Glimpse Inside Her Home
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- In Coastal British Columbia, the Haida Get Their Land Back
Ranking
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Rock & Roll Hall of Fame's latest class, 8 strong, includes Mary J. Blige, Cher, Foreigner and Ozzy Osbourne
- US growth likely slowed last quarter but still pointed to a solid economy
- Jon Bon Jovi talks 'mental anguish' of vocal cord issues, 'big brother' Bruce Springsteen
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- NFL draft best available players: Ranking top 125 entering Round 1
- Relatives of those who died waiting for livers at now halted Houston transplant program seek answers
- New York appeals court overturns Harvey Weinstein’s 2020 rape conviction from landmark #MeToo trial
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Florida man gets 4 years in prison for laundering romance scam proceeds
Pro-Palestinian protesters urge universities to divest from Israel. What does that mean?
5 things workers should know about the new federal ban on noncompete agreements
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
The Masked Singer Marks Actress' Triumphant Return After Near-Death Experience
Stock market today: Asian benchmarks mostly slide as investors focus on earnings
Looking for cheaper Eras Tour tickets? See Taylor Swift at these 10 international cities.